Iterative development and Susquehanna

adcramer
Site Admin

Iterative development and Susquehanna

Post by adcramer »

If you've been following the GitHub page for Susquehanna recently, you may have noticed a project attached to it. This is a test of a new way of development I am trying. Essentially, once every x days there's a release. It doesn't matter if there's a feature not fully polished or if there's something else that needs to be added, it just goes out. This is because, despite working on Susquehanna on and off for the past year, before 2 days ago there was a total of 0 updates this year! I am hoping this speeds up development, as it will get *something* out every once in awhile. The GitHub project also allows me to track issues, prioritize them, and schedule them. This has had the side effect of me creating a *ton* of new issues, as each feature I want to add needs to go onto the issue tracker, and as such each new feature needs an issue. In the future, if/when other maintainers join the project, this should help collaboration by not having pull requests for new features come out of nowhere.

Right now iterations happen once every two weeks, I'm a bit worried this might be too short of a time for iterations, but it seems to be working well for now. If this development method proves successful for Susquehanna, I'll start rolling it out to other projects, such as Onahsa and OLing. That does mean I'll have to compile a list of names for each, right now for Susquehanna the iteration names are named after various places on the Susquehanna river, starting from the source of the river and going down. I'm not sure what I'd do for other projects, maybe I can just find a river for each one to get their iteration names from? That's something to figure out later methinks.

If this development method proves to be a failure, I'll research other ways of doing this to keep things rolling, Susquehanna is very quickly becoming a rather large project, so making sure there's at least *some* releases is a rather high priority of mine. I will say, the first two weeks of iterative development have been a complete success, so hopefully this method will keep having success after success :)