Rename to Onahsa

adcramer
Site Admin

Rename to Onahsa

Post by adcramer »

Hello everyone, it's been awhile!
You may have noticed that AlgonquinTTS was just renamed. Algonquin was named when I was naming all of my software after mountains in New York, and after Marcy comes Algonquin in height. I really should have thought out the name a bit more, but better late than never, right? This is being renamed for a variety of reasons, those being:
  • People thought it was a text-to-speech for the Algonquin language
  • AlgonquinTTS did not come up in search engines when searched, as those search engines also thought about looking for Algonquin language-related content
  • Explaining that it was named after the mountain and not the group of people was starting to get annoying
  • The new name seems like it will be more memorable
You may be wondering, why "Onahsa" specifically? The name is an anglicization of the Onondaga word "oʔnáhsaʔ" (technically the raw form of the word is "ʔnahs", but Onondaga noun affixes is a topic for another time), meaning tongue. I figured that it relates to a TTS program, as the tongue is responsible for most speech, and this program produces speech :) I also haven't seen that many names of things coming from Iroquoian languages, which I personally feel we need more of (I might be a bit biased but I absolutely love Iroquoian languages).

I hope you find Onahsa useful in all of your IPA text-to-speech needs!